Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Something Special

So I have 3 beautiful children~But my girls have something special about them. My oldest daughter was born with UMA (Unilateral Microtia and Atresia) basicly that means one ear is little (looks like a peanut) with no ear canal. So she has moderate-severe hearing loss in her right ear. She is perfectly normal, great speech and all. We were pretty surprised when she was born, but knew all would be fine. Audiologists nowadays suggest a hearing aid but Ky wants nothing to do with it, which is fine, but back in 2001 they did not. Doctors said that there was a 1-2% chance we would have another child with Microtia. And still we had no idea why she was born with a "special" ear.

Next in 2003 my second daughter was born, we were VERY surprised to see our daughter was also born with Microtia, this time it was BMA (Bilateral Microtia Atresia) basicly the same thing but in both ears. We teared up for a second and then realized we can do this and all is going to be fine. She has been wearing a hearing aid since she was 3 months old but it was worn like a headband, which is why her speech never really fell behind. She has moderate-severe hearing loss in both ears without her h/a. She hears normally with it, but has trouble hearing in loud places. Now she wears a BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) She had 2 surgeries that makes the h/a atatch to her head by an anchor like screw that was put in to the bone of her head and then the h/a box snaps into it, about 2 years ago and is doing great with it. I remember when she first got to wear her BAHA attatched to her head she told me she could hear her brother breathing next to her (that was an amazing moment) After I had her doctors said it would be a 50% chance my next child will have Microtia.

Then I got pregnant with my son. Totally expecting it to happen again, my son was born without Microtia. Very interesting.

My girls are great and are totally okay with their ears, which is what I have been trying to teach them all their lives. I put their hair up and do not hide their ears, and give them an exrtra kiss on their special ears. Nenn is very proud of her hearing aid, and is not afraid to talk about it. I have prepared them for questions, because people will ask and stare even adults. Most people who have microtia have surgery to fix their ears, but in our case I want them to feel comfortable with their differences. I am leaving it to the girls to make that decision when they are older. As of right now they are completely okay with their ears. And I hope it stays that way, because they are beautiful just the way they are. I am teaching them everyone is different, and its okay to be different. I am so proud of my girls :)

1 comment:

  1. You are such a great mom! Good for you for teaching them that they are great just the way they are. I hope to do the same for my daughter. Thank you for sharing your family with us! :)

    ReplyDelete